Made this lemon drizzle cake yesterday afternoon with Martha. It was (literally!) the only way I could get her out of bed! This is adapted from a recipe by Mary Berry.
NB. We doubled the following ingredients and used two small loaf tins (450g / 1 lb), greased and lined. The lemon cake will keep for 3 days in an air-tight container. You can also freeze for up to 2 months, but make sure you freeze without any icing.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
For the cake:
2 medium eggs
87.5g (3oz) self-raising flour
87.5g (3oz) caster sugar
87.5g (3oz) softened butter
¾ level tsp baking powder
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
For the crunchy lemon icing:
50g (2oz) granulated sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
2. Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth in a large mixing bowl and pour into the prepared tin.
3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
4. While the cake is still warm, mix together the sugar and lemon juice, and pour over the warm cake.
5. Leave to cool a little and loosen the sides of the cake, then lift out of the tin.
Told you it was easy!