Had another great nights sleep. Not quite as long as yesterday, but absolutely no headaches, and I slept for over 7 hours which is good for me. I also drank 2½ litres of water.
I had brunch around 11am with my daughter who was eager to try the baked avocado. You can find the recipe here.
- Avocado Bake
- Beef Casserole
- Fruit Salad
For dinner, I chose a slow-cook recipe as it’s Saturday and I can take my time. This really is a dish for autumn/winter, but the weather’s turned quite chilly in Manchester, so I figured a nice wholesome stew would warm us up.
After 2 hours cooking, I included a little gluten-free flour mixed with the casserole juices (see method below). This is purely optional, but it does thicken the sauce and adds more depth.
B E E F C A S S E R O L E
Serves: 5 Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook: 3 hours
920g / 2lb braising steak, cubed (grass-fed)
2 onions, sliced
250g / 9oz carrots
250g / 9oz mushrooms
3 garlic cloved, crushed
250 ml / 1 cup beef stock (organic)
1 tbsp ghee
sea salt or rock salt and fresly ground pepper
handful of fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 140°C / 275°F / Gas Mark 1
1. Season the braising steak with salt and pepper.
2. Melt the ghee in a large lidded pan or flameproof dish over a medium heat. Then brown the braising steak on all sides for 2 minutes, remove and set aside.
3. In the remaining fat, cook the onions and garlic for a couple of minutes until soft.
4. Add the beef stock and stir, scraping any residue from the bottom of the pan.
5. Put the beef back into the pan along with the remaining ingredients (carrots, mushrooms, thyme) and mix together well.
6. Pour into a lidded casserole dish and place in the oven.
7. After 2 hours, carefully remove the casserole from the oven and take a ladle of the juices and place in a small bowl. Mix in a tablespoon of gluten-free flour until fully dissolved, return it to the casserole, and place back in the oven for another hour.
8. Serve with additional vegetables, or with sweet potatoes (optional).
F R E S H F R U I T S A L A D
Fresh pineapple, cubed
3 kiwis, peeled and sliced
Punnet of blackberries
Mix the fruit together, divide into small bowls and enjoy!